CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Is Johan Santana Overpaid?


YES! Johan Santana is overpaid. Now I'm not saying that I don't want him on this team but, take a look at this article from SI.com. In the Article, Tom Veriducci wrote this...

"Friday, five minutes before the initial deadline to their contract negotiations. With the two sides just $5 million apart, Santana personally informed Mets owner Fred Wilpon that he was walking away from $135 million, according to two sources familiar with the negotiations."

So the deal breaker is $5 million dollars?! Are you kidding me? I guess $135 million wasn't enough to support his family... The Mets and Johan finally agreed on $137.5 million but Johan was very greedy to ask for $5 million more. Also, I usually root for the more humble type players like David Wright, but Johan seems very cocky to me..

For Example, Johan said this...

"I told you I wasn't backing off my number ($140 Million)," Santana told Fred Wilpon. "I appreciate your offer, but I'm passing on it."

Wilpon replied, "I've been in business a long time. That's a lot of money to walk away from."

"No disrespect to you," Santana said. "But I deserve it. I'll just go back and pitch and I'll get it later. Alex Rodriguez is the highest paid player in the game. I'm the best pitcher. I'm not even asking for that [Rodriguez] kind of money."

I deserve it? Nobody deserves $140 million to play baseball. Period. Baseball salaries are severely inflated.. and the players are losing their loyalty and I'm starting to lose respect for them...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then get out of the blogging business.

Anonymous said...

It's always been this way Ty!

Tyler Florence (Ty Flo) said...

Get out of the blogging business because of a players salary? Good one.

Tyler Florence (Ty Flo) said...

That was the most retarded statement that anyone could have said as a response to this post.

The whole reason I started this blog was for my love of the game and my passion for writing. Who are you to tell me to get out of the blogging business?

This is my blog, and if you don't like DJ or my opinions, then stay away from Mets 4 Life.

Anonymous said...

No I dont' think Johan is over paid, he is the best pitcher in the game right now. And we needed him more than he needed us. I give props to him,for standing his ground. I think we got a pretty good deal, we only gave up 4 prospects and did not have to give up anyone on our current roster, cause if he were to go to free agency Im sure his Price tag would be around $2oo mil.

Captain54 said...

Dont You think Wright and Reyes are going to get lots of Money in a few yrs??
Santana deserves it