CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 4, 2008

Minor Leaguer Jon Niese Gets the Call.

When pitchers and catchers report to spring training for the New York Mets on Thursday, Feb. 14, newly appointed #4 prospect Jon Niese will be among them.

Niese, a seventh-round draft pick of the Mets in 2005, was invited to major league spring training after putting together a solid campaign for the St. Lucie Mets a year ago.

Niese on getting the call:

"I got a call from Tony Bernazard and he said he was calling to check up on me and see how I was doing. He then said, 'by the way, we're sending you to the big league camp to see how you do.' I thought, that's pretty cool. There was talk I could be invited, but until it was set in stone I didn't know, but it is a pretty good feeling."

"I know I can't go to big league camp and start changing what I do, I've told myself that I have to have the same mentality as if I were going to minor league camp," said Niese. "I know I can't go there and do something I'm not capable of doing, I'm going to go there to work and do what got me there. It's really a great honor to be asked to be a part of it."

The 21-year-old Niese is hopeful that he can begin the season at the Double A level. In 2007 Niese finished 11-7 for the St. Lucie Mets. In 1341/3 innings pitched, Niese allowed 151 hits and 78 runs (64 earned), while striking out 110 and walking just 31. Niese finished the year with a 4.29 ERA, while help St. Lucie make their second straight appearance in the Florida State League playoffs.

0 comments: